Friday, March 12, 2010

triathlon training log week 1 - 3/1 - 3/7

In deference to the the lazy load that I am, I waited until the last possible day to start training for the sprint triathlon on 5/18.  I found an 11-week training guide on http://www.trinewbies.com/ which meant I would need to start training the first week in March.  The fact that I found the guide in early January should provide some clue as to my motivation to start training.  Surely wouldn't want to get started early or anything (with the obvious biking exception).

Regardless, I thought it would be interesting to chart my progress though this endeavour.  And so we begin.

Monday 3/1 - Rest Day
Well that wasn't so hard now was it?

Tuesday 3/2 - Run 9/1/1, 15 mins
Light snow and rain.  A great way to start off.  Got out though.  Felt OK at best.  Fortunately the format allowed me to be successful without being too much/too little.  Sore though.

Wednesday 3/3 - Bike 10/40/10
Program called for a short ride, I did my usual workout.  Felt OK.

Thursday 3/4 - Swim 50/4x25/50
Having never swum/swam/swimmed for any purpose other than not drowning, today's workout sparked some anxiety.  I can bike at home, lots of people run to varying degrees of speed/fitness, but the thought of going to a pool and sharing a lane with someone that was surely more competent than me was anxiety-inducing.  The plus side was that because I expected nothing from myself the workout could only be a success.  Which is to say that it wasn't as bad as I thought.  One dumb moment - assumed that because the pool was olympic-sized it would be setup in it's 50m format vs. 25m across.  The funny thing is that I know from climbing what 50m looks like.  Fortunately I did more than the program required and probably ended up doing the proper length.

Friday 3/5 - Rest 


Saturday 3/6 - Run 9/1/1, 15 mins
The first nice day in what seems like forever.  Feel OK.

Sunday 3/7 - Bike 10/40/10
Standard workout.  Felt good.

No comments: