Monday, March 22, 2010

this was not my best effort

In a fit of I don't even know what, I signed up for this race back in January along with Snotcycle.  I expected nothing of myself w/r/t Snotcycle but figured I would be in good shape for this race.  While circumstances (a combination of weather and other commitments) had prevented me from getting outside on my bike this season, surely the triathlon training would fill the void.

Oh, I was so very wrong.

I got up painfully early for the hour drive to Patapsco, picked up my race packet and commenced warming up - spun on the trainer for a bit, a run up the road so I could see where the prologue ended and the off-road began, and then some laps around the parking lot.

The call finally went out for beginners to line up and I found myself somewhere near the end of the pack which I was OK with - my strategy for this race, especially with a course I'd never been on, was to just put out a consistent effort and pick riders off as they blew up.

I didn't sprint as we started and made our way along the prologue and then onto the doubletrack - just steady pedaling and passing as I came up on each wheel.  And then we turned a corner and I looked up.  Yes, up.  Ahead was a looong wet climb with riders struggling, and in some cases, already dismounting and pushing.  I jammed down to the granny and things just came apart.

My front derailleur was just not cooperating.  I couldn't get it to shift down.  Thinking back, I should have just thrown it on the ring and called it good, but I was just so pissed at the time as riders pushed and rode past me that I couldn't think straight.  I finally got it to shift, got back on my bike and started off again.  And then the rear derailleur started acting up.  This had been a minor nuisance of late but with the increased load of racing/torque it became really problematic and a major annoyance for the rest of the race.  I finally gave up and started pushing like everyone else - pissed that I'd gone from middle of the pack to very close to DFL.

I dishonor myself

Regardless I kept pushing and eventually got to the top and mounted back up and tried to make up some time.  There's not much to say about the first third or so of the race except that it was, thankfully, relatively mellow and allowed me to get some gas back.  I must have passed a couple of people here but don't remember anything in particular - just a lot of pedaling and more "hike-a-bike" than I was used to.

Possibly still pissed but probably just tired

I'd heard that the course was "wet/muddy in the usual spots" which, having never ridden there before, obviously meant nothing to me.  But around the halfway point I saw exactly what was meant.  Ahead was a full bog - not a puddle with some mud nor even a small mud hole.  This was big "lose your shoe walking through it" type mud.  I set my line to hit it as straight on as possible with no turns.  Unfortunately, the rider in front of me turned in the middle and washed out which pushed me to the outside line where I had to turn so I wouldn't hit a tree.  Things were going well and then... I was completely down on my right side in several inches of mud.  Cursing, I got up as fast as I could looking much like a black-and-white cookie.  I spent the next few minutes trying to throw mud off my right side.

This does not at all do justice to what a mess I was

The second half of the course would have been a lot of fun if I wasn't heaving and trying to make up time.  A lot of semi-technical riding, stream crossings and of course, more hike-a-bike moments.  I had heard that there wasn't much flat in Patapsco, you were either going up or down.  Seemed like more up than down.  I passed a few more riders here and was passed by one.

I finally heard some cheering and cowbells which signaled the finish line as blessedly near.  I made a big left turn and hopped over a rock to some pity cheers and down the monster hill that started the race with water and mud flying up into my face.  Back down the road and though the finish line.

Place Bib # Name Time
11 17 Brian Connors 54:39

All things considered, better than I thought, but nowhere near where I wanted to be.  I could blame things on my bike/losing focus when things went awry, but a lot/most of those hills just kicked my ass.  The trainer certainly helped but I guess there really is no substitute for getting out there.  Patapsco was a blast to ride though and got me energized to get back outside.  Looking forward to racing again - albeit with some more fitness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The point is you were out there.......like they say at Nike JUST DO IT

D and T