Monday, May 10, 2010

triathlon training log week 8 - 4/19 - 4/25

Monday 4/19 - Rest


Tuesday 4/20 - MTB (~8 miles)
Bruce suggested getting out for an actual MTB ride and I though it might be a good idea to mix up the training schedule and swap my running and biking days to accomplish this. A lot of fun getting back out on fat tires - though I was surprised at my "lack" of fitness.  Bruce said I was burning up the flats (good) but we both struggled on some of the climbs.  Guess this is the difference between aerobic and anaerobic efforts.  Gonna have to target the latter if I'm going to be at all competitive through my summer MTB races.


Wednesday 4/21 - Swim 50/8x50/50
I've pretty much given up on freestyle for the whole distance.  While this may seem like punting early the degree to which I'm winded after a few laps isn't doing my workout any good.  Or so I would rationalize.  I feel like if the end goal is the ability to link 10 laps than doing 2-3 at a time and then heaving at the wall for a few minutes doesn't get me down the road at all whereas linking laps regardless of stroke is at least moving towards my cardio/swimming goal.  Swim goes OK from there.

Thursday 4/22 - Run 9/8/45 30 mins
From seemingly out of nowhere, this was easy.  Actually no big deal.  I'm as surprised as anyone.

Friday- 4/23 - Swim 50/16x25/50
Fuck it.  I decide that I'm tired of just swimming laps.  I know I'm fast enough on the bike, running is coming along - I need some swim feedback.  So I decided to do 250 for time.  Sharon had suggested 8:00 for my estimated swim time (wicked slow for the record) so I wanted to see where I fit against that.  Shocked to finish (alternating strokes) at 5:30. Not that this is impressive but I was surprised.  Rest for a few minutes then do it again in 5:30.  I guess things are coming along (sorta).

Saturday 4/24 - Bike 25 miles
As I swapped out my running and riding days earlier in the week, I though it was best if I did the same this weekend.  A chilly ride out to Rt. 28 late in the day - somewhere around mile 18 it occurred to me I might be wrecking myself for tomorrow's run.

Sunday- 4/25 - Run 9/7/1 50 mins
Pwnd.  No more need be said.  I could barely lift my wispy little legs. Pro (actually amateur) tip: save yourself for your most challenging workouts.  Just sayin'.

No comments: