Wednesday, October 26, 2005

please to be noticing

The collection of RSS feeds courtesy of del.icio.us. How you envy me.

Your first reactions is, of course, super cool. Your second, and far more probable, reaction, is what the hell is del.icio.us? Well my friend,
del.icio.us is a social bookmarks manager. It allows you to easily add sites you like to your personal collection of links, to categorize those sites with keywords, and to share your collection not only between your own browsers and machines, but also with others.
Clear enough? I suppose it's moderately interesting to see what others have bookmarked - although I doubt most will execute any quality control whatsoever and their pages will, if they have not reached this status already, evolve (or, more accurately, devolve) into a morass of everything and anything under the sun with no eye toward usefulness. Everything on the internet linked...yet again.

But the nifty part is the ability to share links among home, work, or anywhere. I sometimes have four different machines, all with a subset of my total collected links - which I often need across those same machines. With del.icio.us I have access to all those links all the time. And the ability to attach multiple tags to multiple items means that I don't have to remember in exactly what bin (under the traditional hierarchical system) I plunked that article about C# delegates - Was it under programming? Or development? Or was it articles? It doesn't matter. I can drill down through any of them or just query the whole list.

There are some things I'm not wild about, and some others that ought to be implemented. As the system is pre-alpha, and I have faith that the aforementioned items have been noodled through by others, I'll [uncharacteristically] shut my yap.

Right now.

OK, really this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, i found that interesting. why just the other day i snoooooooooore.

what? what? i'm here. what?

(it's snowing here.)