Tuesday, July 14, 2009

and...we're back

So yeah, its been a bit. Work, low motivation.

Stuff dammit. Don't question me.

So back at the whole ASP.Net MVC thing which, in the considerable interim, has made it to 1.0. Did the whole Nerd Dinner thing which I found interesting - and not just from the framework perspective. Lots of other goodies in there like IoC, mocking, testable patterns.

Anyway, back on to the redesign effort. It would be really easy, and probably considerably faster to just re-implement the app, apply my lessons learned, and be done with the whole thing. Probably be able to knock it out in a month or so. But then I don't know what I would learn and probably skip over some important things.

Like testing.

So I'm making a commitment right here that I will write the tests I didn't last time. I will take the time to have a legitimate go at TDD. I will think first before I go whipping away at new features. The whole point of this exercise is to learn right? And not just the latest hotness but about things that are generally useful no matter what.

But good lord, one 16 tests and only one controller sorta covered? It's gonna be a looong road.

No comments: